The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the positions, strategies or opinions of the American Jewish Joint Distribution Committee or the Agahozo Shalom Youth Village.

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Lake Mugasera

Carrots from the Kimironko Market
     This weekend was a really refreshing and event filled weekend. On Saturday I woke up bright and early, 5:30 AM sharp, to run Mucaka Mucaka. This week we ran inside the Village, which I prefer. It seems shorter than other paths, which is preferable since I’m lazy! After the run, while sipping on porridge, Barrett and I decided that we weren’t going to go to the farm this weekend. It was nice to have someone else affirm my conflicted feelings to the farm. While I recognize the value of giving back to the land directly, I find that I am relatively ineffective at hoeing and weeding. It takes me far more time to make progress than the students and I get extremely frustrated. I believe that I motivate and empower the students in other ways, that my lack of presence at the farm is relatively insignificant in the grand scheme of my participation in the Village. I wish that I loved to farm, but unfortunately I ain’t no farm girl!
Beans from the Kimironko Market
     After waking up at the crack of dawn to run. I decided to take a nap. It was really nice to rest, watch movies and eat challah throughout the day. My relaxing day culminated with Havdallah. Having participated in very few Jewish practices, it was really nice to do Havdallah, especially while surrounded by the beautiful view of the Village. I do not find prayer to be personally meaningful, but being surrounded by a Jewish community is.
     After relaxing all day on Saturday, I decided to join the Year Coursers on their hike to Lake Mugasera on Sunday morning. Having seen Mugasera every day from the Dining Hall in the Village, I decided that it was time that I ventured to the beautiful lake. And what a journey it was! The walk trailed through the rural countryside of Rubona. At points I felt like I was in the middle of nowhere with no clue as to how to return to Agahozo. It was refreshing to be able to just walk and not have to think about anything but also quite an experience to see the vast lands of Rwanda. After two hours of walking, we reached the water. It was truly beautiful! It was also rewarding to finally reach the water. Every time that we walked uphill, I had to stop conversing with other people and focus on my breathing. I think that the dry season has affected my breathing. Since I only breathe out of my mouth, I found it really hard to breathe on some stretches of the hike. For some reason, the trek back, albeit two hours, felt much quicker than the walk to the lake. We walked over a natural bridge that lay on top of a swamp. It was one of the most interesting things that I have ever seen. It was like a trampoline in that it bounced and moved with every step (but I would not dare jump on it). Not knowing exactly what it was made of made it scary, yet exhilarating to cross.
     When we got back to the Village, I ran to shower before lunch. I’ve learned to take advantage of every opportunity that I’m hot to shower. Cold water showers means you have to schedule when you will shower (oy, the troubles in Africa). When I got to lunch and saw Mugasera from the Dining Hall, I felt so accomplished. From the Village, the lake looks so far away. But a 5-hour, rigorous journey and you’ve made it there and back!
     After waking up early two days in a row to exercise, I decided that I’m going to start running more regularly. I asked Barrett if she was interested and she said she was in! I dread the anticipation of exercise but I love the feeing afterwards. I just have to focus on these breathing problems and then I’ll be just fine! So exercise, here we go! 

     P.S. Unfortunately my computer won't let me upload any pictures at the moment. Once I figure it out, I'll be sure to add pictures of Lake Mugasera.  

No comments:

Post a Comment