The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the positions, strategies or opinions of the American Jewish Joint Distribution Committee or the Agahozo Shalom Youth Village.

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

The Journey Has Officially Begun...


A mango tree in the park in the center of the Village.

     And the journey has officially begun! After spending most of Monday cleaning and organizing the kids’ houses, the kids arrived Tuesday morning. My anticipation leading up to their arrival was high. I was very excited and filled with joy. I didn’t know what to expect, but I knew that it would officially mark the beginning of my time in Rwanda. Up until Tuesday morning, Agahozo Shalom, in theory, seemed to be a magical place, but immediately upon arrival, it was clear that Agahozo IS a magical place, a place filled with love and hope and beauty.
     On Tuesday morning I helped the new kids label their luggage and store it in a room so they didn’t have to lug it around all day. I must say that it was very hard to hear and understand, let alone spell correctly, everyone’s names. But the kids that knew a little bit of English were able to help me. From the beginning, it was evident the willingness the kids have to help one another.
     While I was checking bags, buses of kids with the guardians slowly arrived. They went on tours of the Village and relaxed on the balcony of the community center building, waiting for the ceremony to officially begin. The ceremony was a truly powerful one. The director of formal education, Wilton, sat next to me and translated the many speeches. There were many speakers: the Director of the Village, a guardian of one of the new kids, previous students, a representative from the New York office and the Mayor of the district. Everyone was welcoming the new kids to our new family, explaining how great the opportunity to be in Agahozo is. The repeated greeting “Welcome Home” really stuck with me.
     Immediately after the speeches, we went inside for a snack. It was delicious! Hard-boiled eggs, rolls and sambosas (basically a samosa)! A short snack, but a great one. Now I could eat that all day! After snack, all of the kids, their guardians and Agahozo staff went to the basketball court to find out which family they are in. A family at Agahozo consists of 16 kids, a Mama, a counselor (sister) and a volunteer (cousin). At the last minute, I was switched to a new family with Mama Mary, Mable and Barrett. I was so excited to join a happy, welcoming family. The Mama of the Mamas, Mama Agusta, read out the names of the Mama, sister and cousin and then read the name of the 16 kids. As the names were read, kids came off the bleachers and ran into our welcoming arms. Hugs flying around everywhere! It was quite an emotional experience! These are the families that the kids will be in for their entire 4 years at the Village. And it is really incredible to be able to be intimately involved in a new family. Don’t worry family at home, you will not and can never be replaced! This will just be my family away from home.
     Once all of the families were called out, we went to our houses to show the kids their new home. The girls were all very excited to enter the house and see where they would be living for 4 years. We did some introductions, had time to move in and then dinnertime was there before we knew it! We sat together as a family, but it was hard because I didn’t know who knew English or what their level of English was. So there was lots of smiles and quiet. But I know that will quickly change.
     After dinner we went back to the house for Family Time. Family Time happens every evening. It is a really nice way to end the day by being together and reflecting. During this family time we went around, said names, and said how we were feeling today. The two girls next to me said that they were so excited for this opportunity to be at Agahozo and that this was their first time calling someone Mama. It was really moving to hear what the kids had to say. I’m really looking forward to learning more about my girls’ backgrounds and to form strong and meaningful relationships with them. I can already feel the intensity of love permeating the air.
     Before we could go around to everyone, it was bedtime. We said a prayer, hugged and then the girls went off to bed. I wanted to go to bed too, but we had a late night meeting to discuss the plan for today.
     Today was an early day. And I’m thinking that I have to start getting used to that! Breakfast was at 7 AM. Porridge and a roll, which I learned would be breakfast everyday! After breakfast we went to our house to play some games and start the process of English detection so we can place them in an English class. The girls were laughing away, having a great time. One of the girls came to sit next to me and for most of the time we were holding hands, with interludes of her playing with my hair. The girls are so sweet and genuine and really want to be loved. It’s so warming.
     Although the language barrier has been really hard, I am really looking forward to getting this journey on its way. The girls in my family are so beautiful inside and out. I already feel a connection with the girls. I’m exciting to really begin to call them family. Now I truly know that this place will be perfect for me!
     A funny story to leave you with: While relaxing in my family house, Mable told me, and I quote: "You have the best hips in the West. I think they are better than Beyonce's. They are the best!" And today she told me that I should get used to her saying that because she really likes them. And then she proceeded to give them a squeeze. So thanks Mommy for them hips! 
My house in the Village. I live on the left side.
There are three bedrooms, Dorea and I in one, Berthe (grade coordinator)
and a currently empty room (social workers I here). There is also
a kitchen (just a sink), 2 bathrooms and a common room with 2 couches.
The park in the Village where I go to get internet. 
     

No comments:

Post a Comment