The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the positions, strategies or opinions of the American Jewish Joint Distribution Committee or the Agahozo Shalom Youth Village.

Friday, December 2, 2011

Rwanda Rwanda...Here I come!

          In 4 days I begin my journey as a JDC Jewish Service Corps Fellow to the Agahozo-Shalom Youth Village in Rwanda. For the next year I will be working as an Informal Educator in the Village (more details to come following my 3 day orientation in NYC!). This opportunity could not be more perfect for me! I finally get to merge my passion and interest in informal education, youth and the peoples and cultures of Africa.
          As I prepare for my trip, I am filled with both fear and excitement. I am scared to leave all of my friends and family behind as I travel to a new country, a new continent, far far away. I am nervous about how I will be received at the village and the connections i'll make. But beyond my fears, I am filled with happiness. I am so excited to take on this journey, an adventure i've been wanting to go on for years. I am looking forward to learning about a new culture, a new peoples. I am looking forward to not only challenging other people, but challenging myself and being challenged along the way. I am ready to take on a new experience and I hope you will join me on this journey.
        I implore you to continue to challenge me as I journey through Rwanda. I will strive to do the same to you as I document my experiences on my blog. Stay in touch and update me on your lives. If you have any questions, or just want to talk, feel free to e-mail me at Maytal.Schmidt@gmail.com. And check out this beautiful song about Rwanda called Million Voices  by Wyclef Jean. Sending so much love!

No comments:

Post a Comment