The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the positions, strategies or opinions of the American Jewish Joint Distribution Committee or the Agahozo Shalom Youth Village.

Friday, December 30, 2011

A Few Road Blocks


  While the journey has just begun, I have already hit some roadblocks. I know that this will not be an easy journey, but I hope that I can quickly overcome at least a few roadblocks. Yesterday, for three hours, Barrett and I led a discussion and activity. Not having someone to translate proved to be a challenge. We started off by talking about the core values of ASYV so that the kids could start to think about the values that are important to them. Each kid wrote six values that they think are important. We combined all of the values, merged them together and ended up with eight core values that will guide our family during the year, and hopefully beyond. The values were love, peace, hope, support, loyalty, community, role model and unity. Once we were done the core values activity, we went around the Village searching for two specific leaders to learn about what they do. My group had to interview Jean Pierre who is the head of informal education. Once both groups completed their interviews, we gathered to share what we had learned. Having just met two leaders, we discussed the qualities of a strong leader. To reenergize the girls post discussion, we attempted to do a human knot. Both of these activities proved to be exceptionally challenging as the girls did not fully understand the instructions. It was particularly challenging because no matter how hard I tried to explain, the girls did not fully understand the directions.
     Luckily I was able to rest for an hour before I had to report to the kitchen to do kitchen duty with the family (and yes, I did have to wake up at 6 AM in order to do breakfast kitchen duty). Following lunch we had a staff meeting. The meeting was supposed to only last an hour, but we made sure to take a full two hours to accomplish very little. I know that meetings will be longer because they will be done in both English and Kinyarwanda, but this meeting seemed to be especially slow with very little accomplished. Fortunately I had my iTouch so I could play games but it was really frustrating to be sitting for a long time to explain things that, to me, were relatively simple concepts. Patience is definitely something I will need to adopt as a personal core value.
     The day brightened up as I had fun doing dinner kitchen duty with the girls. When we walked back to the house for Family Time, two girls, both quiet with very little knowledge of English, fought over who could hold my hand. Good thing I have two! Both seemed ecstatic to be able to hold my hand. I was happy to be able to provide them with a bit of joy. During Family Time I was even able to get a quiet, but bright young woman to open up to me more about her interests. I'm not giving up on any of these girls! My goal is to create a safe space where they feel comfortable talking to me and sharing their lives with me so we can support one another and learn from each other.
     Today starts English lessons so that goal is on its way. Today is informal classes and next week we begin formal lessons. I'm looking forward to having my girls learn English so we can communicate more easily and fluidly.
     However, as I look forward to continuing to teach English, I can't forget a really raw experience from two nights ago. During Family Time we played the game Two Truths and a Lie. All of the times that I have played this game before, people would say funny facts about themselves or things they liked/didn't like. This game was much different. One girl's lie was "I have both my parents" and another girl's lie was "I have a Mom." It was painful to hear how forthcoming these girls were with having lost one or both parents. I know that this is a part of who they are, but it is still hard to hear it said. But also beautiful that these girls feel comfortable opening up about something that I’m sure is so painful for them.
     After English lessons (writing an acrostic), I continued my day by going to the Friday market in Rubona. So many fruits and vegetables, beans, clothing, anything simple that you could want. I bought some bananas, guavas, passion fruits and fried breads. I’ve never tried fresh guava or passion fruit but I figured I better try it sometime. So why not when it’s there and really cheap! It was so refreshing to go into Rubona and be reminded that while I live in the middle of nowhere, there is at least some life outside the Village. Hopefully I’ll be able to go into the market at least once a week to stock up on fruits and veggies.
     Tomorrow the kids continue to rehearse for the New Years Eve celebration. They put on a big production and apparently there’s cake. Let’s see what Rwandan cake is all about. Happy early new years!

No comments:

Post a Comment