The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the positions, strategies or opinions of the American Jewish Joint Distribution Committee or the Agahozo Shalom Youth Village.

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Exciting Updates

Wow! It sure has been a while since I last posted here. Sorry about keeping you all on your seats about my adventures here. But get ready for lots of updates:

A mural on the Dining Hall. 
Entrance to the Village.

1. Akagera National Park: On Tuesday, February 21st I went to Akagera National Park. While there I saw lots of incredible animals. I saw baboons, warthogs, waterbucks, impalas, topis (antelopes), zebras, hippos and many kinds of birds. Since a lot of the landscape was bush, many of the animals, as soon as they saw our vehicle, quickly ran to hide. But, I was able to capture some good photos of wild animals.
2. Apple of my Eye: This Monday, when my housemate, Berthe, returned from her weekend away, she came to greet me. She said that she missed me very much and had a present for me that she knew I’d really like. And indeed I did love it! She brought me a green apple from Kigali! I was so happy to get a taste from home. Rwanda doesn’t have apples so they get them from South Africa. Since they are not native to Rwanda, apples can be expensive and hard to find. So it was a great present and a wonderful way to start the week.
3. Helping with English: For a few weeks now, an Enrichment Year student, Cyprien, has been coming up to me during lunch to ask me for help with understanding English words. He has so much passion to learn English and it is really rewarding to help him. He asks about definitions of words being taught in English class, in magazines and in books. Not only do I help him with English, but we have also become friends. On Friday, he told me that he would be gone this weekend so he could go to the doctor to get documents that he will need for his upcoming surgery in April. I know that he’s had medical problems that really impede his life so it was a big deal that he informed me of why he would be absent from the Village and about an emotionally and physically hard upcoming challenge. He is such a sweet, genuine kid with such passion. I’m glad that he feels comfortable asking me questions and telling me about how he is doing.. Whenever I see him he always smiles and is happy to see me. It’s really cute!
4. English Family Time: Every Tuesday is English Family Time in my family. That means that Barrett and I get to plan the English discussion or game for the day. English is still a big challenge in my family, as many students are struggling to learn the language. But this week marked a successful Family Time. Mable started the Family Time by asking each girl to give Barrett and I a compliment. When it got to me, they said some really sweet things (along with some funny ones): dresses smart, nice shoes, good teeth, small breasts, good skin (thanks Accutane!), serious girl and beautiful girl. It was so sweet and such a lovely way to start Family Time. The next thing that we did was play two games that required English: Rock, Paper Scissors Competition and Dynamics. The girls LOVED the games. It’s incredible to watch them come out of their shells and enjoy laughing together, without holding back their emotions.
5. Interview: As part of my Communications job, I have to compile reports from students and staff in the Village that will make up the Village News, a newsletter that documents activity in the Village and comes out once a term. As part of the news, I wanted to get a report from Media, a counselor for Enrichment Year and one of the few people still in the Village that was here in the beginning. She spoke so beautifully about her love for the Village and the kids here. She couldn’t stop repeating that her work here is a calling, not a job. People speak so positively about the Village, but to hear from someone that has seen the development of the Village from the beginning was really empowering. The Village truly is an incredible place.
6. Challah: As per every Friday, Barrett and I baked challah, or attempted I should say. Thinking we did everything the recipe called for, when we returned an hour after preparing the dough, we found that the dough hadn’t risen. After adding more yeast and coming back an hour later, the dough still hadn’t risen. We decided to try and make loafs and bake it, even though the dough didn’t look right. While the challah came out looking flat and black, it tasted very good! I guess we have to keep trying. If anyone has a delicious recipe, send it my way! It’s nice to have a taste from home every week.
7. Resource Center: I will not be working more intensely on the Resource Center, a center that will provide resources on different options for students graduating from Agahozo. The center will provide information on different universities, internships and job opportunities. It will also have drop in hours for students to talk to different staff members about possible future options. I am excited to be a part of a crucial new project. I’ll keep you posted on how things develop.

So lots of exciting and joyous things have been happening around here. Enjoy the pictures!
Sunrise in Agahozo the morning I went to Akagera. 
Women's bathroom sign at Akagera National Park. 
Baboon. 
Baboon relaxing on a truck. 
Warthog. 
Really interesting looking bird. 
Zebras. 
Impala. 
Waterbuck.

     

No comments:

Post a Comment