The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the positions, strategies or opinions of the American Jewish Joint Distribution Committee or the Agahozo Shalom Youth Village.

Thursday, March 22, 2012

My Rwandan Birthday

     This Tuesday I celebrated my birth 24 years ago along with my first Rwandan birthday. While it was sad to be away from family and friends back home, I celebrated this special day with my new Rwandan family and friends.
     The morning was a normal one: I caught up on emails, perused the Internet and read by book. Having been unable to open Facebook on my computer for about two weeks now, I happily gazed at the long list of people that had written on my wall, unable to actually open and read the messages. As if a birthday present, my Facebook miraculously started working later in the day. A great present, I must admit. 
Receiving a card from one of my girls. 
     While headed to lunch, I (irrationally) dreamed of having spaghetti (a two times every three months occurrence) although I knew the likelihood was very small. As soon as I walked into the Dining Hall, I knew that spaghetti was most definitely not on the menu. Immediately upon entry, I was overcome by a strong smell that I found to be unpleasant. Instantly I knew it was none other than my favorite, cassava bread (a light brown play dough like substance with a foul smell). And the smell got worse. I went downstairs to the kitchen to get water and I could barely breath. I had to hold my nose and breath while I quickly got water. And the smell didn’t dissipate even after lunch was over. But I trudged through the awful smell and ate beans and rice as I talked to other volunteers. Then I left for a meeting.
Gemima and I.
     As an Informal Education and Resource Center representative, I met with a local NGO called Bridge2Rwanda. (Bridge2Rwanda works with post-secondary Rwanda students to prepare them to attend American universities. Although competitive to be accepted, students that are accepted by Bridge2Rwanda work directly with their staff for a gap year between secondary school and university. During their gap year they live in Kigali and take intensive English reading, writing and speaking classes. In addition to English classes, they prepare for the SATs and the TOEFL examinations necessary to get into American universities. During their studies, they also engage in community service work. At the end of the gap year, Bridge2Rwanda assists students in applying to American universities and works with sponsors to arrange for their four-year educational opportunity in the US.). The meeting was really interesting. I hope that we can form a strong relationship with Bridge2Rwanda so as to share resources and provide support for out students leaving ASYV.
Me and Mama Mary.
     After a heavy storm, I headed to the Club House to help with English Jeopardy that another volunteer planned. The even was organize to help the Enrichment Year students study for their English exam that was happening the next day. It was really great to see the students break out of their comfort zone and see them enjoy engaging in informal and alternative ways of learning. I had the honor of tallying the scores, which was fun!
     For dinner I made myself cabbage and onion salad with beans and carrots leftover from lunch. Nothing too fancy, but salad is a treat around here so it was good. After dinner I went off to Family Time.
Odette and I.
     My girls surprised me with cards, songs and confetti. The cards were so kind and heartfelt (and are now hanging on my wall). Even though the girls were stressed with exams, they still found the time to make me creative and beautiful cards (written in English!). After all the festivities were had, I was given the time to talk. Overcome with positive energy from my Rwandan family mixed with being away from my American home and recalling my 18th birthday when my grandmother passed away, I began to cry. With so many emotions, I couldn’t hold back. Feeling tears coming, I immediately grabbed my girl, Odette’s, hand and began to speak. I told my girls “My birthday is always hard for me because I think about my grandmother who passed away on my birthday. It’s especially hard to be away from family and friends at home, but I am really happy to be able to share this day with my new Rwandan family.” Immediately after I spoke, my girls all said “Turugukunda” which means “We love you” in Kinyarwanda. My Mama said how happy she was to have me in her family and then ran over to give me a hug. It was truly incredible to be surrounded by so my much. While Granny (along with Grandpa and Savta) couldn’t share my birthday with me, I know that they would be so proud of the work that I am doing. They have all given me so much strength and the values that I live my life on. I don’t go a day without thinking about them and the relentless love that they shared with me. I know that they will all continue to be an inspiration for me throughout the rest of my life.
My deliciously fresh fish.
     Even though the day was challenging and lonely at times, it was still a great day. So many people that really care about and love me a lot surrounded me. And if that wasn’t good enough, I came home to some deliciously fresh fried fish (I haven’t had fish in months!) from my neighbor. He didn’t know that it was my birthday but he left me some in exchange for using my kitchenware. And let me tell you, the fish was amazing…full fish, head in tact!
     Facebook miraculously working, a full fish, surrounded by great people; all in all a great birthday. A Rwandan birthday!



Claudine and I.
Deborah and I.
All of my cards.
Fishy go bye bye. 

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday Maytal.
    Chuck and I are thinking about you.

    Rita

    ReplyDelete