The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the positions, strategies or opinions of the American Jewish Joint Distribution Committee or the Agahozo Shalom Youth Village.

Thursday, May 3, 2012

The Importance of Family and Friends

     This past month I had the privilege of welcoming my parents and brother to Rwanda. While it was an emotional journey, I was so thankful that they stopped their lives in America to join me as I explore Rwanda. While they were here I was able to welcome them into my Rwandan life. They were able to put a name and face to the experiences that I’m having here. It was really special to be able to share with them the experiences that I’ve been having. It’s been a challenge to fully explain my experiences here, so it was truly incredible to let Rwanda speak for itself.
My Mom and I holding hands at
Agahozo Shalom Youth Village.
     While here my family and I traveled all around; we went to Kigali, the Eastern Province and the Western Province. We went to Agahozo so they could bask in the beauty of the Village. We attempted to go to Akagera National Park to see animals (inquire within). We traveled to Lake Kivu (one of the six largest lakes in the world). We ate tons of food. We took many pictures. And of course we relaxed, caught up and cuddled as the Schmidt’s usually do (I was constantly holding my mom’s hand). Even though the trip flew by, I took in every moment. I couldn’t have been more thankful for them coming here and the precious time we spent together.
     However, their trip had to come to an end. Through tears I went through security and checking in only to find that my flight had been delayed by 24 hours (turned out to only be 12 hours). An emotional mess, I spoke to the airline and they assured me that I would be put up in a hotel. So I spent the second night of Passover in a hotel in Ethiopia tasting all of their local beers. I passed the time and off I was to Israel for two weeks.
My parents and I in the rain.
My adorable parents at Lake Kivu in Gisenyi. 
My Mom and I shopping for crafts.
My Mom, brother and I. 
My family at our hotel in Kigali.      
Bourekas, rugelach and pita! 
     As soon as I arrived at Ben-Gurion airport in Tel Aviv, Israel my wonderful Aunt, Aviva, greeted me. It was such a relief to finally arrive! Immediately we went to see my uncle, aunt and three cousins for lunch. I don’t think that I’ve ever enjoyed Passover food as much as that meal. It was wonderful to be reunited with my Israeli family and to eat different food. For the rest of the week I hung out with and got spoiled by my family and friends. I took in the beauty of Jerusalem and Tel Aviv. I was overwhelmed by the city and overcome with joy by the variety of food and things to do. Overall, It was really refreshing to be with people that I love and care about so much and hadn’t seen in years.
     But of course vacation can’t continue forever. After a week of relaxing I was off to a seminar run by the JDC, the organization that sent me to Rwanda and brought me to Israel. For four days we (25 fellows across the world) engaged in cross-cultural learning, experience sharing and leadership training. It was great to be with such a young, fun, supportive and like-minded group of individuals. Over the course of the week I learned a lot about different Jewish communities around the world and about myself.
     During my time in Israel I had the opportunity to be there for Yom HaShoah (Holocaust Remembrance Day). On this day I was able to be with my grandfather (who I call Saba) who is a Holocaust survivor. My Saba is an extraordinary, inspiring and loving man. As a kid in Poland, my Saba was taken under Nazi rule from the onset of World War II until the bitter end where he was liberated from Mauthausen (a death camp located in Austria). Despite losing all of his family, my Saba survived and created a new life of his own in Israel. With Aviva, his daughter, we went to the Yom HaShoah ceremony.
My Saba and I at the Yom HaShoah Ceremony.
     While I didn’t understand all of the Hebrew speeches (by Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and President Shimon Peres), I knew that my presence spoke louder than words. Bundles up in many layers of blankets, sitting next to my Saba, I felt a strong connection to Israel and Judaism, stronger than I’ve ever felt before. At the end of the ceremony, as we sang Hatikvah, the Israeli National Anthem that I’ve sung many times before, I was overcome with emotion. Being surrounded by tons of Jews and non-Jews alike, I was reminded of my family’s past, the strength of my Saba and the ongoing process I experience establishing myself as a Jew. As I walked out of the ceremony, I put my arm around my Saba. With my broken Hebrew and the assistance of my aunt, I asked my Saba about his experiences during and after the War. I also asked him what allowed him to survive, amidst all of the adversities he faced. In his inspirational and empowering way he explained to me:
After the war I was depressed. But I knew that this mindset would kill me on its own. I knew that in order to survive the War I had to look forward. And that’s what I did. I created a family and now I have my own grandchildren. I volunteer regularly to give back to the community. For me, I care about future generations. I don’t want them to constantly have to fight to be Jewish like I had to. To stand strong is essentials. And that’s what I still do.
Never before having the language to tell him, I simply said, “I am so proud of you! You are truly an inspiration.” As I spoke tears swelled up in my eyes. But as my Saba taught me, you have to move on, look to the future and enjoy life with optimism. As I remembered this lesson, my tears dried.
     My time at Agahozo Shalom, a place where tears are dried, has taught me many things so far. One thing is just how important family and friends are to me. I was so fortunate to have had the opportunity to show my parents and brother my life in Rwanda and to share my experiences with my friends and family in Israel. Taking time away from the Village allowed me to gain perspective on the work that I do here and the impact that I have on the people here. I guess you can say that I’ve grown a lot already from my time here.
The Tayelet in Jerusalem (where I had my first steps). 
My Saba and cousins (Lilach, Omri and Maya). 
The Tel Aviv beach.

No comments:

Post a Comment