The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the positions, strategies or opinions of the American Jewish Joint Distribution Committee or the Agahozo Shalom Youth Village.

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Celebrating Rosh Hashana

May not be the best picture, but captures my Rwandan family quite perfectly! 

     This was one of the first years in my life that I was away from family for Rosh Hashana. Knowing that I wanted to find meaning in a new way, I set out to explore what that meant for me. After much thought, I identified the things that were important for me surrounding the holiday: family, friends, good food, apples, Jewish education and positive energy.
     In order to be proactive and successfully find meaning in celebrating Rosh Hashana across the world, I decided to organize a lunch with some other volunteers. On Sunday, Melissa, Jennifer, Jack and I strolled to a local restaurant to eat beans and rice. While it was similar food to what I could eat in the Dining Hall, it was nice to leave my surroundings and step out for a bit. We had an enjoyable and relaxing time!
     That night, during Family Time, I took a few minutes to explain the holiday. All of my girls sat, entranced by my explanation of the New Year. After I explained the holiday, they all erupted in smiles and “Happy New Year” greetings. Recognizing the tradition of eating something sweet to start the New Year, I gave my girls chocolate. They were ecstatic! After I told my family a brief explanation of the holiday, one of my girls, Claire, turned to me and said “Maybe it will be nice to start your new year with a photo of the whole family.” I was utterly touched! It was a wonderful idea to reel in the New Year. And the photo shoot was a delight. The girls were so happy to be photographed.
     The next morning I woke up to lovely messages from different friends and family across the world, wishing me lots of love, health, adventures and meaning in the year to come. It filled my heart with warmth.
     I ended the holiday with a potluck with the other volunteers. I prepared salad, but what we ate was a vast feast. We started with the traditional apple and challah dipped in honey (local honey!). Before the meal, we went around and gave a blessing to the rest of the group. I wished everyone a happy new year in addition to hoping that everyone, no matter how long their service, can walk away from the experience with a new perspective on the importance of our role in the village. I spoke about the impact of our work on our relationships with the kids and the ability for these relationships to transcend time. The meal followed: salad, fish curry, steamed greens, two kinds of chicken soup, baked apples and banana chocolate chip bread. The night left me feeling really positive and with motivation to take on my last 2 months in Rwanda.
     All in all, a successful and meaningful Rosh Hashana. Shana Tova and Chag Sameach! 
Barrett, Mama and I.
Gemima, Odette, Olive and Odette.
Volunteers at our potluck dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment