The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the positions, strategies or opinions of the American Jewish Joint Distribution Committee or the Agahozo Shalom Youth Village.

Saturday, September 8, 2012

Home Sweet Home

Daniella, Yoshi and I. Bananas unite! 
     For the past six weeks, during my vacation, I was in Maryland visiting family and friends. I had the most incredible time seeing the people that I love back in America. It felt good to return to Maryland but in a totally changed and more positive state. 
     My journey began with a visit to camp to surprise my brother. His reaction was adorable! I was able to spend some time at camp, catching up with different staff members and campers. For a few days I traveled to North Carolina with my sister. We went to the Outer Banks and had an amazing time. We ate tons of sea food, rode on bicycles, climbed a sand dune, relaxed in the water and shared countless laughs. Apart from those adventures, I remained at home relaxing with my parents and siblings. 
     Not only have I grown over the past 8 months, but so have my siblings. It was so wonderful to be with them and to feel even more connected then ever before. The ease in which my family got along was beautiful. I couldn't be thankful enough for such a loving, caring and supportive family. It was so refreshing to return home and rejuvenate before the last 2 months of my time in Rwanda.
     While it was hard to leave my family and friends back home, it was nice to come back to Rwanda. My Rwandan family greeted me with open arms and many smiles. I knew that I was missed! And I missed my Rwandan family. I spent the week easing back into life and now I feel ready to take on the rest of the term. I am filled with energy and excitement as I complete my yearlong service here at ASYV. 
     Within a few days of returning to Rwanda, I was reminded of the silly things that make me smile here. In addition to the beauty and strength of both the country and its people, the items listed below have made me smile:

-       A young boy standing next to the ASYV bus dancing to the music...without pants
-       A young girl being taught how to ride a bike. Since she was too small, she was sitting in front of the seat, on the metal, unable to even reach the pedals
-       A young girl walking home from school. Since she didn't have a backpack, she tucked her school books away in the back of her dress  
-       My girls approaching me and speaking to me only in Kinyarwanda, innocently hoping that I understand

I look forward to many more of these memories to come! 

Enjoy the pictures from my vacation to Maryland and the Outer Banks! 
The sign for a house in Nags Head, Outer Banks. I love my sister! 
Jockey's Ridge, the largest natural sand dune on the east coast.
At Jockey Ridge State Park.
The beautiful sunset along the Outer Banks.
Joshua and I at camp during Shabbat.
My cute mother, Tammy!
My sister and her fiance, Adam!! Congratulations!
My adorable father, Yehuda. 
Virginia is for lovers! 
* Thanks to everyone who made my vacation truly incredible. Schmidt family, I can't thank you enough. I love you more than you'll ever know! 

No comments:

Post a Comment