The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the positions, strategies or opinions of the American Jewish Joint Distribution Committee or the Agahozo Shalom Youth Village.

Thursday, October 25, 2012

Live to Eat Or Eat to Live?

My new African shirt.
Rwandans always comment on my wide figure (where all my weight has settled).
It symbolizes wealth, happiness and beauty. 
     Food in the Village is good. However, the food can get very repetitive and feel quite heavy. A normal meal consists of rice, a watery soup consisting of a combination of one or more of beans, carrots, cabbage, sour baby eggplants, peas or green beans and either potatoes, sweet potatoes (different than in the US) or boiled green bananas. Sometimes there is a special treat of an egg, salad with mayo, a piece of pineapple or half of a banana. Spice is not common in Rwanda so the food either takes on a salty or smoky taste. It is quite impressive that four years and three meals a day later, the kitchen has succeeded in never producing food that made anyone sick. I've had my fair share of eating rotten and moldy foods, all of which were 100% due to my mindlessness. So kudos to the ASYV kitchen! 
     Having had an aversion to beans and rice prior to coming to Rwanda, I have struggled a bit with the food. Luckily I had a kettle and two-burner stove for most of the year. Unfortunately, at the end of term 2, both broke. Now I share a kettle with my friend Barrett and eating is somewhat back to normal. 
     Often I make food in my house. I brought lots of food from America and Israel which I heavily rely on (macaroni and cheese, protein bars, nuts, crackers, peanut butter and tuna). I also buy food in Kigali and at the market. Traveling to those two places takes time though. Kigali is 1.5 hours away from the Village. For one trip, it takes me 4 motorcycle rides and 2 bus rides. The market near ASYV, located in Rubona, is a 30-45 minute walk each way. While it's hard and often demanding to find food, I've made it my job to do so. I've become very knowledgeable about where and when to get foods. 
     Sometimes i'll go into Kigali to treat myself to different foods. Never before fancying Ethiopian or Indian food, pizza or sandwiches, I have come to enjoy them (they are pretty much my only options). I've found some great restaurants. It's a nice treat to go into Kigali for the day with Barrett to eat bagels, go to the market, buy groceries (mostly dairy products now that I have a fridge!), eat Indian food (yes, we do have lunch 2 hours after breakfast) and then head back to the Village. 
     Food has always been important for me; I live for food. After spending some time in Rwanda, I see that many people here eat to live. My perspective on food has definitely changed. Don't get me wrong, I still love indulging in fancy foods, but while i'm here, i've become okay with settling for the food that I can get my hands on. Here are a few pictures that may help you to understand my successes regarding food. 
The old Rubona Market.
Stacked serving bowls in the Dining Hall. 
Lunchtime in the Dining Hall. All meals are family style.
Students alternate in doing kitchen duty.
Refill station in the Dining Hall. 
A few of my favorite dishes: 
Spaghetti with homemade tomato sauce and hard boiled eggs.
Shakshuka, bread with avocado and tomato and a banana.

Fresh greens from Melissa's garden (Farm and Environmental Coordinator).
Tuna sandwich and salad with avocado, onions and sunflower seeds. 
Salad with beets, onions, carrots and green beans. 

No comments:

Post a Comment