The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the positions, strategies or opinions of the American Jewish Joint Distribution Committee or the Agahozo Shalom Youth Village.

Friday, October 26, 2012

The Depth of Gratitude

Hibiscus flower after the rain. 
Sandrine, Justin and Triphine. 
     Words can’t describe how much I’ll miss this place. Today, as the Tutoring Club organized an appreciation celebration for me, it hit me that soon I will be leaving Rwanda.
     Emmy, the club president, approached me on Thursday to invite me to a club meeting at my house. Since clubs were over, I didn’t know what to expect. Regardless, I was excited to be reunited with this incredible group of Senior 5 students.
    The time rolled around and club members filtered into my house. Julien introduced the gathering and started off by sharing riddles. For example: A cat is on a bridge and wanted to cross to the other side There is a sign that says “No crossing allowed.” The water below is filled with deadly alligators. How does the cat get across? (See answer below).
     In addition to the riddles, we talked about making a Tutoring Club Facebook page so we could all stay in touch. Triphine turned to me and said “It should be called Tutoring Family!” We shared a smile and I was immediately filled with warmth.
After a few riddles, some of the ladies returned from the kitchen with juice and biscuits. The students had pooled together their monthly allowance to buy snacks to share together at our gathering. The cups of juice were in the shape of an “M.” As we snacked, I brought out my camera and the photo taking fun began.
After the snacks were finished, Media asked me to stand in front of everybody and close my eyes. She wanted to say a few words. When she told me to open my eyes, I was surrounded by the entire Tutoring club, each one holding a collective card that they had made for me. It was an incredible moment of unity. I read the card out loud: “Just To Say Thank You.” The inside read “Your thoughtfulness has meant more than you will ever know and this comes to express sincere gratitude. Thank You. G-d Bless You.” When I finished reading, Media turned the page to reveal notes to me from every member of the club. I was touched.
     I went around hugging everyone as cameras flashed (hugs are not common in Rwanda so this was a treat!). While hugging the students, I received many thanks and kind words:

Triphine: “I will miss you so much. We must stay in touch. Can I give you my email?”
            Emmy: “What you created will remain.”
            Claire (a girl that I tutored): “Thank you for your support.”
            Claude: “Thank you. May G-d bless.”

Following the hugs, I was asked to give a speech. Feeling my emotions stirring, I sat down to give my speech. Immediately I choked up. Tears starting falling down my face. Before coherent words could come out, other students began crying. This made me get even more emotional. Triphine quickly sat next to me, held my hand and put her arm around me. I felt surrounded by love. Finally I gained control of my crying and thanked the club profusely. I told them how proud I was of them, how far we’ve come as a group and how much strength I see in them. I implored them to use the skills we collected to continue to empower themselves and their peers. All of the club members listen attentively to the message I left with them.
     As a list of email addresses circulated the room, Julien and Emmy gave a speech thanking me. They told me I could dry my tears since the group will always be together. They said that it was because of the love I shared with them that they were able to grow. Touched and speechless!
Sandrine, Clarisse, Esther and Jacky. 
Julien, Gaius, Emmy and Claude. 
My reaction as I opened my eyes. 
Claire, Triphine and I.
Justin and I.
Sandrine and Media enjoying juice and biscuits. 
Triphine giving me a hug. 
(Answer: The cat crossed the bridge. It can’t read.)  

1 comment:

  1. You write beautifully, and I hope you will continue to share your thoughts as your family of students carry-on and share with you.

    Rita

    ReplyDelete