The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the positions, strategies or opinions of the American Jewish Joint Distribution Committee or the Agahozo Shalom Youth Village.

Sunday, October 28, 2012

Relationships



     In exactly two weeks the students at Agahozo Shalom will depart and head back to their homes for vacation. In exactly two weeks I will say goodbye to the people that have given my life a purpose for the past year. When I say goodbye, I don’t know when I will see these people that I have built strong relationships with again. But I know that I will make every effort to stay in touch with them. Despite the many structures that I built and strengthened, I know that the relationships that I’ve made here will transcend time.
     For a while I was comparing my relationships with students here with relationships that I have with people back home. It took me time to realize that the relationships are extremely different and can’t be compared. Relationships here and at home are intense and meaningful in different ways. Both are necessary and both are fulfilling.
   
I will miss the smiles.
The hugs.
The laughs.
The explanations of the realities of life in America.
The Kinyarwanda lessons.
The candid conversations about their traumatic past.
The hopeful conversations about their beautiful futures.
And most of all, I’ll miss the deep and unspoken communication that we share. 

     The relationships that I have built and secured here have helped to solidify my decision to become a social worker. My ability to create meaningful and deep relationships with these students despite cultural restrictions, communication barriers and religious differences, has proven to me my ability to excel as a social worker. As I begin my studies and career in the field of social work, I will never forget the lessons that the students at Agahozo have taught me. I’m so proud of the students. I am eager to be a part of their growth as they continue in secondary school and after school, as they become the future leaders of Rwanda. 
Yvette.
Solange.
Pacific.
Gemima.
Justin.
Noella.
Janviere.

Mable.
Vincent.

Celine.
Patrick.
Claudine.
Aime. 
Claire. 
Guslaine.
Claudine.
Barrett and I.

No comments:

Post a Comment