The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the positions, strategies or opinions of the American Jewish Joint Distribution Committee or the Agahozo Shalom Youth Village.

Sunday, January 1, 2012

New Years Eve Celebration!

Me with two of my girls, Gemima (L) and Odette (R) from my family. 
     Yesterday was a very relaxing day. That is of course, after waking up at 5:40 AM to participate in Mucaka Mucaka, a 6 AM run that the Village does every Saturday morning. Bright and early we all gathered at the gate to run and chant all the way to Rubona and back. My body is not in shape enough to run 30 minutes straight, let alone bright and early on a Saturday morning! However, once I was awake, it was refreshing to be exercising in the bright light and crisp air, but I can't promise that i'll be doing that every Saturday. It was quite a sight, I must admit. Seeing 150 people running along a dirt road, chanting in Kinyarwanda, was pretty amazing. Kids were running in flip flops, some in skirts, but still really happy to be together. The local residents of Rubona stood in front of their houses, gazing at us running past them, entertained by our numbers and chanting. Once we got back to the Village, we all went to the dining hall to do more chanting and clapping. It was really entertaining to see everyone standing in a circle, chanting, clapping and moving their bodies. The event ended with the typical morning porridge and roll.
     For most of the afternoon I got to relax and read more of "The Bluest Eye" by Toni Morrison which I have since finished. (Look at me, such a reader, taking after my Granny). Later on, all of the volunteers gathered to start planning the intensive English lessons that begin on Monday. Because of my camp experience, I was placed at the beginners level with three other people. Starting Monday, we will be split into two groups to teach 20 kids each. We spent four hours planning lessons on the Alphabet, greetings, house items, family members and school items. It was pretty intensive planning but I feel good about what we produced. I'm excited to see how quickly the kids in my level progress, but I know that it will be a very challenging and slow week. It's going to take lots of repetition and patience. Wish me luck!
     The night continued with a big New Years Eve celebration! After dinner, we all gathered in the dining hall to watch the many presentation that the kids had rehearsed over the past couple of days. At the beginning of the performance, I noticed a boy, Cyprien, sitting to my left with a Time magazine.  I was shocked to see someone reading an English magazine so I went up to him to ask him about it. He had very good English. He explained to me that he read the magazine but did not understand everything. So I told him that I could help translate if he wanted. He seemed very happy that I had provided my English services to him. Knowing that I would not understand much of the show, I asked if he could translate for me. So the whole show I sat next to him, learning more about one another and understanding what was being performed.

Me and Cyprien, my fabulous translator! 

There was a traditional dance, modern dance, theatre, drama and comedy production. A Mama, big brother, the Village director and many others spoke. It was incredible what the kids were able to pull off in such a short time. The show lasted three hours.
     Following the show there was a feast! Meat sambosas, cake, peanuts, juice and Rwanda tea. All of it was very tasty and by midnight I was definitely hungry. Just as we finished eating, everyone moved to an open space and starting cheering. Hugs were flying around everywhere! People I had never met before came up to me to hug and kiss me, wishing me a happy new year. I couldn't stop but stand there, offering hugs and smiling. It was such a happy, warm and welcoming experience.
     But the party didn't end there! There was dancing! And lots of it! American pop music, Rwandan pop music, traditional Rwandan music. It was incredible! One of my girls, Gemima, took my camera (which I was scared she would drop, although she didn't) and starting taking pictures of everyone! The pictures came out great but I don't know everyone in them. Hopefully soon enough I will. (And now I have all of these great pictures for you to enjoy!) By the end of the night I became a celebrity as all the kids came up to me to ask if they could take a picture with me, whether I knew them or not. One girl, Noella, asked politely if we could get a picture together. After we had our picture taken, she kept telling me "I really like you." It was so sweet. I kept seeing her around the Village but never had the chance to meet her. She was so kind and innocent. I reassured her that we will have lots of time this year to become friends and talk and laugh and play together. She even told me that she loves my nose ring...sorry Mom!
Me and Noella (with Joseline in the back)
     All in all, a really great celebration and a great way to start my new year. The celebration left me with a strong sense of community and love. I'm really looking forward to getting to know all of these kids better. I can already see how much they have to offer themselves, me, each other and the rest of the world!
     Of course the night had to end on a funny note. As I was walking back, Media, one of the big sisters, touched my hips and complimented them. She said I have the body of a Rwandese woman. She said maybe I have a different skin color, but it doesn't matter, I fit right in.
Me with my other cousin, Barrett, and my sister, Mable. 
Me and my Mama (Mama Mary). 
Me with my roommate, Dorea, and Mable. 
   Happy New Years! Sending so much love for a happy 2012!

No comments:

Post a Comment