The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the positions, strategies or opinions of the American Jewish Joint Distribution Committee or the Agahozo Shalom Youth Village.

Friday, January 20, 2012

Another Week in Agahozo

Me and Barrett! 
    It's been a while so I thought i'd update everyone on my week here. The week was a busy but relaxing one. The week started off with lots of logistical work. I, along with two non-native English speakers (1 from Rwanda, 1 from Israel), placed 300 kids in different Enrichment Programs. We sifted through their two choices and placed them into different groups of extracurricular activities. Having done this kind of tedious work before, I thought that it would be simple. But to my surprise (i'll be honest, I kind of expected it wouldn't be that easy), it was a mess. It took a whole 2 hours to acquire all of the students preferences which should have been e-mailed the previous night. I had to work on computers that I wasn't used to and had to communicate with people that did not know English very well. One of the people that I worked with even  consciously closed the documents without saving. After hours of work and frustration, we finally finished. I will note, that while I was frustrated, my new adoption of patience allowed me to not be a mess afterwards. I decided that with all of my work I would take a break from Family Time.
     On Wednesday I spent a lot of time researching different Rwandan Universities. Some of the websites are really easy to navigate while others are really challenging. But i'm definitely making progress. Once i'm done with all the internet research I will start to visit universities to get pamphlets and more information. I'm definitely looking forward to those adventures. After all of my research Barrett gave me some movies. Now I can watch excellent movies while falling asleep. I've already watched Love Actually and Cars. It's really great to just take my mind off of everything and take a real mental break.
     Thursday was Barrett's birthday which was a big celebration! All of the girls surprised her by making cards and throwing confetti on her. One of the girls took my camera and took pictures of the big celebration! They got a picture of her with every girl presenting their card. It was such a beautiful and warm celebration. And it was so great to see Barrett so happy from the simple rewards of love.
My happy family! 
Earlier during the day I sat outside with Barrett, talked and relaxed. It's so nice to have days where you can sit outside and revel in the beautiful temperature, breeze and view. It's very refreshing.
     Tomorrow I will attend a wedding introduction and dowry ceremony with my housemate from the Village. I don't know what to expect but I am very excited. The next time I post i'll show you lots of pictures!
    
    

No comments:

Post a Comment