The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the positions, strategies or opinions of the American Jewish Joint Distribution Committee or the Agahozo Shalom Youth Village.

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Another week in the Village

     Hey everyone! Now that all the kids are back and school has started, it’s been really hard to connect to the Internet. But it’s been a few days so I thought I’d give the Internet a shot again.
     Things here have been pretty status quo. This weekend I was able to go to Kigali, which was a nice break. I got to see some friends, eat good food and relax. I played a lot of cards and met lots of really friendly Rwandese. I even went to a Rwandan buffet and enjoyed it. Apparently if you put spices in your rice and beans it can be delicious! But now I’m back to boiled and tasteless beans and rice.
     Monday marked the first time in Agahozo history to reach full student capacity. School started on Monday, which meant all the kids returned from holiday vacation. It was pretty incredible to see the Village packed with 500 students and over 100 staff. All of the staff were ecstatic to see the Village successfully enter its fourth year and be filled to the brim with bright, yearning students. Everyone woke up early to eat breakfast and walk to the school for a welcome ceremony. The teachers and cousins were introduced and inspiring words were said. Christian, one of the new kids, came up to me to translate while Yvette held my hand.
    After the ceremony, we said our goodbyes and wished the kids luck as they went to school for their first day. While the kids began school, the staff had a meeting. Unfortunately, I wasn’t feeling very well so I slept during the entire meeting. I felt extremely rude but I just could not keep my eyes open. For the past two days I’ve been tired, weak and have had lots of abdominal pain. Hopefully these waves of sickness will go away, but I guess my body just needs lots of time to adjust.
     Fortunately, I was able to gain enough energy later in the day to kick around a soccer ball and play tag. It was fun to run around with the kids in Enrichment Year (the new kids). The kids were so happy to be running around with all of the cousins. Plus it was good to get some exercise. At the end of sports time, I headed back to my house to shower. Yvette waited on the field till I was done running around so we could walk back together. As soon as I got to my house, we said our goodbyes and she passed me a note:

Dear Methal,

Hi my friend. It’s really long time without seeing you. I have miss you too much. Because you’re always in my mind and in my dreams.

I do hope that we shall meet one day. Know that mountain and hills don’t but people always do.

Yours sincerely,
Yvette
           
I was so incredibly touched by her letter. Even though she struggles with verbally communicating in English with me, she still finds ways to express her feelings. Getting this type of reassurance is a great reminder of why I am here. Even if I make a difference in only one kid’s life, I know that I have made a difference in the world.
     Today was another relaxing day, which was good because I needed all the sleep that I could get. I woke up at 9 AM (crazy late for me here!) and went to an informal education meeting. I met with some staff and learned more about my job. Nothing like what I expected but maybe it’ll be fun. Basically I’ll be researching and collecting information on different universities, scholarships and job opportunities for kids graduating from ASYV. The goal is to eventually make a resource center where older kids can browse their options for the future. While this is not work that would necessarily interest me at home, it will allow me to play an active role in helping the older kids figure out what their future will be. The big problem with my job will be trying to connect to the internet (the best times are between 10 PM and 6 AM). Because of research though, I’ll have to go into Kigali to talk to universities and collect resources, so that will definitely be exciting. In addition to compiling resources for the resource center, I’m going to be helping someone edit a booklet on informal education in the Village. I love editing and informal education so that should be lots of fun!
     After my meeting I went with my roommate, Dorea, into Rubona to buy some food. We decided that we’re going to spice up our diet this week and make fried rice. So we bought tomatoes, spicy peppers and green beans. We also bought tons of bananas and some bread. It’s so refreshing to go into the market and see the vibrancy of the small, rural town of Rubona. Also to get fresh produce is a total plus!
     On our way into Rubona, a little girl who must have been about 2-years-old grabbed my hand and walked with us into town. She was so happy to be holding my hand; it was utterly adorable. Shortly after she started walking with us, another girl pulled her away to go back to her house. My new friend did not like that at all and started crying. She was so cute.
     The day continued with lunch and then sports. Yvette found me immediately at both events and sat next to me.  I could tell that she was upset and something was wrong but she wouldn’t tell me. She just sat next to me and held my hand. It’s incredible how strong of a connection she made to me in such a short time. Sometimes it’s easy to forget that the kids here have such a rough and scarred history. The kids carry such a heavy burden but they don’t let it intrude in their every day lives. 
     The rest of the week will continue to be relaxing; a few morning meetings and sports in the afternoon. Hopefully I’ll be able to regain my strength and energy so I’ll be ready for the 6 AM run and three hours of farm work on Saturday. Wish me luck! 

No comments:

Post a Comment