The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the positions, strategies or opinions of the American Jewish Joint Distribution Committee or the Agahozo Shalom Youth Village.

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Meeting Celebs

     When I returned to the Village on Saturday night, I was greeted with a warm welcome. All my girls, my Mama and the other volunteers welcomed me back with open arms, happy that I had returned to the Village. My drive back to the Village was also really enjoyable. A volunteer from last year, Trevor, drove me back and we had a really great conversation. We talked about my experience so far and my life back at home. He gave me advice and then we talked casually. It was really nice to have a really fluid and helpful conversation with someone who comes from a similar background as me. I'm looking forward to our friendship growing and using him as a support for my journey here.
     Still without answers of my medical ailment, but not wanting to isolate myself in my room, I decided to participate in the activities of Saturday. I woke up bright and early (5:30 AM) to participate in Mucaka Mucaka. I was nervous about the intensity of the running, but it was a very slow, doable pace. I even found that I ran most of the time. We jogged around the Village, running past houses, eventually ending at the dining hall for breakfast. There were no farm activities following breakfast since the Village does not have enough tools, so I went back to my room.
     I took a nap and then awoke so I could call the doctor to see if the test results were in. Unfortunately they weren't in. I had to wait 48 hours. Good thing I didn't listen to my doctor and stay in Kigali to get results on Saturday. Gotta listen to your instincts!
     At lunch I met a few members of the Anne Frank Project, a theatre group based out of Buffalo State. They came to the Village to perform a little taste of American theatre. One of the people that I met, Carl Wilkins, was a true inspiration, a celebrity really! He was the only American to be in Rwanda during the genocide. He lived in the country from 1990-1996. During the genocide he helped save and feed Rwandans in the Nyamirambo orphanage in Kigali. He spoke so calmly about the work he did. I was so honored to meet him and be able to hear a little bit from him about what his experience was like here. He said that he'll return this year, so hopefully he'll come back to the Village and I can talk more with him.
     After meeting such an incredible celeb, I had a meeting with Mara. Like Trevor, Mara and I also had a really great conversation. Before returning to New York, she wanted to check in on my to make sure that I would be ok. She told me that she sees the potential in me and is really excited to see what I can do in my time at Agahozo. It was great to feel really supported from her, especially at the beginning and during a time when I need friendly and supportive interactions.
     When I finished talking to Mara, I went to the performance which was so much fun. There was a traditional dance, song and play put on my kids in the Village, a play by the Rwandan theatre group Mashirika and a play by the Anne Frank Project. The performance was held at the amphit theatre during the sunset. The performances ended with lots of dancing and smiles. Even though I wasn't feeling well, the performances distracted me.

1 comment:

  1. Just catching up on your posts, Maytal. Cool about that theater group out of Buff State-that's my college! Sounds like your keeping-on-keeping-on. Well done!

    ReplyDelete