The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the positions, strategies or opinions of the American Jewish Joint Distribution Committee or the Agahozo Shalom Youth Village.

Saturday, January 28, 2012

Settling In

     With the Internet and electricity going in and out all week, it's been quite a challenge to get onto my blog to update my lovely followers about life here in Rwanda. But have no fear, I am back and ready to update you.
     I'm definitely starting to feel more settled in. My job is slowly gaining more clarity and i'm beginning to feel more comfortable navigating things here. I took on two new initiatives this week: Professional Skills and Hero's Day. One of the big projects that I will be working on this year is planning and implementing the Tutoring Professional Skills program. The idea behind the program is that Seniors 5 and 6 (the oldest two grades) can choose to learn about tutoring and mentoring as a means to widen their opportunities post-ASYV. After much convincing of my strengths in tutoring and mentoring and my ability to run the program (yes, it was very frustrating to get to this point!), my proposal for a tutoring program was accepted. My plan is to start with leadership, move onto empowerment and end with tikkun olam. Essentially i'll be providing the skills, tools and guidance to be strong, influential leaders and then give them the opportunity to mentor other students in the Village. The second project that I took on, Hero's Day is almost complete. This Wednesday marks Hero's Day, a day when the country learns about different heros and strives to emulate these successful and strong leaders. I, along with another volunteer, Nathan, and the head of Informal Education and a native Rwandan, Parisien, planned a three hour program for the day. Groups of four families will each get a core value of the Village (Role Model, Commitment, Integrity, Support, Respect, Interest of Child, Learning Community and Determination). They will play games, have a discussion and create a visual project all relating to their value. At the end of the program, all of the students will gather together to explain what they learned.
     This week was the first week that I started my Kinyarwanda class. Mama Augusta, the Mama of all the Mamas, has offered to teach the volunteers Kinyarwanda. I'm not good at languages so i'm a little concerned, but it's off to a great start. I learned some vegetables and animals and we began counting. I'm going to try and study the words i've learned so I can really take in the language, but I think that it will take time for me to really feel comfortable with Kinyarwanda. It's not an easy language. But it feels good to be taking action towards learning to communicate in this country.
     I also started teaching Volleyball for the first time this week. Teaching may not be the right word since it was more like I attended and the class was taught in Kinyarwanda, but hopefully that will change. I'm not a pro at volleyball but it's fun to be doing something active.
     Saturday morning I also had the luxury of being active. I had to wake up early for a 6 AM run, uphill nonetheless. Luckily I was with Barrett so we talked the whole way (we both complained a bunch too, I must admit). I ran for 20 minutes straight! I haven't done that in a long time! I walked backed to the Village, but it definitely felt good to get a small bit of exercise. After breakfast, I had to go to the farm at 7:30 AM to hoe in the orange groves. Never having farmed before, it was quite hard. I didn't stay the whole two hours (don't tell my kids), but maybe i'll work up to it.
     While I am starting to feel more adjusted, this week definitely proved to have some struggles:
1. Planning English programming with non-native English speakers 
2. Trying to cook dinner when the electricity consistently goes out around dinner time
3. Attending meetings that are solely held in Kinyarwanda: Hopefully this will become less of a problem as the students begin to learn and feel more comfortable with English. I've started to attend less Family Time, firstly because it's hard to be present in my family from 9-10 PM five nights a week and secondly because it's solely done in Kinyarwanda. I really want to be a presence in my family's life, but it's hard to sit through hour long lectures, or even discussions, with little to no translation. Even when we attempt to begin Family Time in English, it always turns rapidly to Kinyarwanda. I was really proud of myself earlier this week because I led a Family Time by myself, that is until my Mama came. We were signing up  for clubs, speaking only in English and making lots of progress, until the Mama joined and all the girls reverted to Kinyarwanda. I guess we have to move slowly and hope that by the end of the year we can speak English and I can feel more included and needed.
4. Not getting intellectual stimulation: Having a serious language barrier, it's really hard to engage in intellectual discussions in the Village. As someone who constantly seeks out intellectual discussions and debate, it is really hard for me to not be able to actively engage in this type of intellectual growth. I try and seek out these conversations with other volunteers, but even that's a challenge. I think that I may  need to find other outlets for intellectual stimulation. I guess that's why i've already read five books and am moving onto the sixth! (I'm now reading "The Help" which is so good!)
5. Sometimes feeling lonely and unsupported: Being so far away from family and friends is a really big challenge. I knew that not having physical support here would be really hard and it is proving to be just that. Slowly i'm beginning to feel more connected to some of the volunteers, like Barrett and Dorea, but it's still a process. This is the first time since Kindergarten that i've really had to totally start anew with friendships. I know that it takes time, but it's difficult, especially at the beginning when things are so inconsistent. At home i'm used to having constant inspiration and encouragement, but it's very difficult to find here. I'm actively trying to solve this problem which is really positive. For example, earlier this week I went to Rubona for hot milk (reminded me of my childhood) and maize cakes with two of the volunteers. For Friday night Barrett, Dorea and I cooked a wonderful dinner and talked for hours. Saturday afternoon I played Scrabble with Barrett. It feels really good to be proactive about my social life!
     There are definitely many challenges here, but those are just a few. Overall i'm feeling very good about my work here. Adjustments always take time. But i'm trying to stay as positive and optimistic as possible (my mommy would be so proud of me!). I'm glad that I have the love and support of my family and friends back home. Keep that love coming!

No comments:

Post a Comment